VA EA Business Domain
VA operates the nation’s largest integrated health care system that includes more than 1,700 medical facilities, and administers a wide variety of benefits and services that provide financial and other forms of assistance to Service members, Veterans, their dependents, and survivors. VA administers an annual budget of nearly $200 billion and relies on more than 340,000 employees across the Administrations and Staff Offices to provide effective and efficient services in support of our nation’s Veterans.
The Business Domain describes what work is performed, how it is performed, who is performing it, and what outcomes and outputs are being achieved in support of the Department’s mission. VA business content is captured in the VA Enterprise Architecture Repository (VEAR). The Business Domain view, as represented in the Conceptual Metamodel – Business Domain View below, provides insight into VA business operations including laws, regulations, policies and directives, capabilities and service lines, business processes, performance measures, and organizational information.
Conceptual Metamodel – Business Domain View
The Business Domain information is closely related to the information represented in the Strategic Domain, Systems and Applications Domain, and Data and Information Domain. The Business Domain:
- Describes the alignment of business activities to VA’s strategic goals, objectives, and strategies.
- Illustrates the relationship among the capabilities, services, business functions, business processes, systems, and the organizations that execute them.
- Identifies performance measures associated with business functions.
- Provides visibility into the systems used and information shared within VA as well as between VA and its external partners.
- Provides visibility of critical information from external processes (e.g., Planning, Programming, Budgeting and Execution [PPBE]) used in combination with Business Domain Information to support resourcing, portfolio management, and other management decisions.
Minor updates to the VA BRM Categories, Capabilities, Services and Business Functions) as a result of VA’s modernization effort and VA’s vision of Shared Services.
- Integration of VA Performance Measures into the VA EA resulting from the ongoing VA reorganization.
- Updated Functional Organizational Content (FOM) and FOM interactive visualization.
- Design and development of Data Analytics, Business Intelligence, and Visualizations that integrate and correlate VA Strategic content and Performance Measures to the VA BRM and VASI information to provide users with a visually appealing means to consume the resulting information.
- Integration and publication of additional VA Segment Architecture models and reports such as FMBT architecture models and reports.
Key EA Artifacts Currently Available
- Functional Organization Manual (FOM) – serves as the authoritative source for VA’s organizational structure. It describes organizational missions, authorities, functions and activities, as well as the tasks of the Administrations and Staff Offices within VA. The FOM is an iterative reference document that describes what gets done by whom, for whom, and under what authority. The current version is 4.0; the organization content in the VA EA is based on version 4.0.
- The VA Business Reference Model (VA BRM) – is the authoritative model that incorporates all VA business Categories, Capabilities, Functions and Business Functions including those of the Administrations and Staff Offices to provide a holistic view of VA’s business operations. It integrates the lower level Business Functions of the Administrations and Staff Offices to provide a complete view of the work being performed by the Department. This integrated model is used to establish a common functional taxonomy that can be used across the Department to support Planning, Programming, Budgeting, and Execution (PPBE) and other processes. The VA BRM includes the functions contained in the Federal Integrated Business Framework as well as the unique capabilities and functions that VA performs.
For additional products, please visit the Business Domain – Models & Reports page.